Thursday, November 23, 2006

All I want for Christmas is a few good novels.

I've decided not to write a novel. Ever. So there. I just want to free myself from that expectation or hope or dream or whatever. Free myself for more time to do something less strenuous, more enjoyable - reading novels. And also reading non-fiction, which is what I really enjoy. There are plenty of great novelists out there without me. And I've got other talents that are probably more useful, though less glamorous, in the long run.

For instance, I'm quite a nice mother. I'm highly entertaining to the two and three year old set. I hardly ever give spankings, though I often threaten to give spankings. To be as little as I am, I've got a strong back for giving horsie rides. And I microwave good pancakes.

Also, I'm a fine teacher. Well, I'm good at teaching the 10th grade, anyway. Some of us have very specialized skills. I'm lousy at teaching English 9, 11, and 12, but I've got English 10 down to a science. I even enjoy it. I love studying sacred texts and heroic epics, and I think that I manage to get the kids interested.

I'm not very good at bus duty or lunch duty, but I don't put forth much effort either.

I'm also a pretty lousy house-keeper, but I say that with a certain amount of pride. What kind of person wants to be remembered for cleaning hairs off of the bathroom floor, anyway?

So for Christmas, I just want a few good novels to sit back and enjoy. Sitting back and enjoying things is going to be my New Year's resolution this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.