Sunday, September 04, 2005

Amber oaks, swollen pumpkins, scarecrows, and other pleasanter things.

September. I'm glad it's September. I love the fall. I love the caramel-apple smell of it, the leaf-smoke scent, the mulch and wet-brown dirt envelopment of the senses.

I am secretly hunting for a pumpkin farm to visit with my little boy.

I can see the white farmhouse, like the ones in picture books that I read as a little girl. It stands with perfect posture, alone, a fringe of green pines and maroon and golden oaks and elms and maples off in the distance - orange leaves spring out like wild hairs, glow against the deep cornflower sky. Brown soil furrows surround the house off and away to the distant treeline. Orange pumpkins, fat and heavy, droop, loll, sag and slump into thickets of green and spiralling vines. Someone somewhere is baking a pie thick with cinnamon and nutmeg and brown sugar. I imagine it is Mrs. Brown, the farmer's white-haired wife. And she will have warm apple cider ready to serve in brown mugs. The apples come from an orchard several dirt roads away, dirt roads lined with Queen Anne's lace and black-eyed Susans and purple coneflower in the spring. Now they are lined with green-golden grasses, crackling and sharp. There are puppies and kittens scattered under withering forsythia bushes, pricked by holly and yelping or rolling over to display chubby bellies. And somewhere, amidst the ticklish scents, the carefree pups, the distant dark wood, there is a pumpkin waiting for my baby and me. If we take the whole weekend, some perfect weekend, we'll find it there and forget about everything else. We'll allow ourselves to believe for a moment that this was why we were put on earth.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to believe that we were put here not only to enjoy the little things like finding that perfect pumpkin, but also to be witness to the tradgedies that are before us. Because, and I know this is cliched, but it is these kinds of tradgedies that bring us all back to the basic humanity that we are all lacking at times.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Autumn said...

I agree. Unfortunately, the constant rehashing of the same tragic images on the news tends to either overwhelm or to benumb the viewer. I know that I am overwhelmed right now. And I listen to too many people discussing the violence and the tragedy in the wake of the hurricane as if it was just a show on television, devoid of any real sense of the horror and the humanity of it. There must be some balance - some way of restoring humanity without making it into a celebrity charity or a water-cooler conversation or a trend. I don't know. I'm just grappling for something simple to understand right now, I guess.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Sister. Oh, and we love autumn too (ridiculously obvious pun intended). Haven't written a word since Dad died. Wanna visit Park City?

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.