Saturday, July 09, 2005

Regarding Romeo.

An interesting side note to my earlier thoughts on Romeo and Juliet. OK. It's interesting to me.

I read the first act at a little coffee shop called Java Mott's. It just opened, and it's quiet and comfortable. The owner and his teenage daughter were both working today, and after about an hour of poring over every line I was interrupted by the gregarious proprietor who was concerned that I might be studying too much. He asked what I was reading, and I told him. We began to discuss the finer points of the play, and I mentioned the way that my reading of it had changed over the years. I brought up the point about Romeo being in love with Rosalyn at the beginning, and he nodded his head sagely.

Here's the part that interests me.

His daughter, who was perhaps 14 or 15, widened her eyes and wrinkled her forehead and said, "Really? I just read it last year and I don't remember that at all." My point exactly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.