Friday, July 08, 2005

Consider Overcompensation and Cheer Up!

I discovered an old self-help book that had been written in the 1950s while perusing the cluttered shelves of a bookstore in the Quarter several years ago. The title is Be Glad You're Neurotic. Of course, I had to buy it.

I don't assume that many people read this blog, but the ones who do might have picked up on a certain neurotic quality to my thoughts. My American history teacher in high school warned the mother of a friend of mine that I was "unstable." I was particularly offended because this teacher had been something of a mentor to me. And she wasn't a fount of sanity herself. A Sunday school teacher onced asked out of nowhere if I had suicidal thoughts or had ever considered running away from home. I asked her if she was being inquisitive or if she was making a suggestion. If I had any doubts about my inability to Belong, they were erased by adults who seemed to have some sixth sense regarding my weirdness.

Back to the self-help book...

This cat, a certified doctor of psychology by the name of Louis E. Bisch, was just my kind of man. I give you a list of some of his chapter headings. Alone and without further reading, they might appease the shame and misery of my fellow neurotics.

Chapter 1 I'm a Neurotic Myself and Delighted
Chapter 2 To Be Normal Is Nothing to Brag About
Chapter 3 You Hate Yourself. No Wonder!
Chapter 8 Are You Getting the Most Out of Your Insomnia and Dreams?
Chapter 9 Of Course Your Sex Life is Far from Satisfactory
Chapter 14 Consider Overcompensation and Cheer Up!

I feel better already.

Next entry:

Some of the neurotic things that I think every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.