Friday, April 15, 2005

A beautiful day

Sometimes I notice the mockingbirds and the cardinals and the little chickadees chirping up in the live oaks and the Japanese magnolias, and I think, "Have they been singing all along and I'm just now noticing?" I wonder about that often. At least once a week, when the feathery choirs are particularly bouyant in their gospel stylings. They seem to come out of nowhere, but maybe I just haven't been paying attention. I hate that. I wonder how many free symphonies I've missed.

Today was a beautiful day. The birds were raucous and reeling in heavily-scented sweet olive trees. I took the wee one for a walk in the Quarter, where we went mad with the camera. I focused on green because I will miss the one million and one shades of green to be found in New Orleans. Though North Carolina has her own fair share of green, don't get me wrong.

A mime girl in a black and red dress and black-and-red-striped stockings with her dark hair in pig tails and her cheeks rouged red sped by on a rickety old bicycle. Not something you see a lot of in North Carolina. Of course I wasn't quick enough on the draw to capture that image. Gone for good.

I don't feel quite as dejected as I did earlier. That's right. I admit it. I was a little depressed. What? You couldn't tell? How kind of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.